200+ Intermediate and GCSE French Level Revision Activities by Topic
please check back here tomorrow, I am currently working on adding my materials to this page.
Revision can be quite boring and tedious, you can certainly use an interactive website with gap fills at sentence level, but why not do your French revision by topic with vocabulary rich activities, testing your intermediate French language skills in a more interesting way?
If you wish to practice your intermediate French language skills and revise topics covered at French GCSE level or French CEFR A2/B1 level, then try out the activities below. There are over 20 common topics found in GCSE French courses, A2/B1 level courses and intermediate French courses too.
The topics come with original and authentic revision tasks by topic and by skill. This includes: reading, writing, listening, speaking and translation, as well as vocabulary training activities to help you with specific, topic-related French revision. The revision tasks are presented clearly in Word documents with instructions to make them user-friendly for students. For the French listening practice activities, there are also short MP3 files available to download. The vocabulary revision activities come with answer keys and I am working on producing answer sheets for the French listening revision tasks, but as teachers, these can also easily be created!
French GCSE and Intermediate French Level Revision by Topic
My French revision activities include the following topics:
- family relationships
- social media
- free-time activities (music, cinema, music, TV)
- food and drink
- eating out
- French customs and festivals
- house and home,
- social issues (charity, volunteer work, healthy and unhealthy living)
- global issues (environment, poverty and homelessness)
- travel and tourism (holidays, regions in France)
- studying (school subjects, school life, post-16 education)
PLEASE NOTE: This page is a work in progress and more French revision activities by topic are being added daily.
Skills and How To Use The French Revision Activities For The Best Results
Below, you will find listening, reading, writing, speaking and translation activities, as well as tasks to help you work specifically on your vocabulary, topic by topic. You can use the material however you like, but my recommendations are as follows (and come from my ten+ years of teaching experience):
STEP 1 – VOCABULARY:
Research admits that learning vocabulary individually and out of context isn’t helpful to the learning process. I agree to an extent, but you have to start somewhere! My vocabulary practice activities are split by topic, include a list of the most relevant topic related vocabulary, as well as five further activities to practise the vocabulary in different ways to make it stick!
1. Download the ‘Vocabulary Practice’ Word Document on the topic you wish to study first below.
2. You will see the topic name at the top and a list of French words down the left hand side with space for you to add your suggested translations. Do this first.
3. Check your answers by downloading the ‘vocabulary answers’ sheet once completed and then highlight those you got wrong.
4. Try and complete the vocabulary activities on the right hand side of the page to practise – they are fun! As an added extra, you could create a vocab set on Quizlet or Memrise to help you to commit the topic-related vocabulary to memory further. If you choose to do this, try it for 20-30 minutes a couple of times a week spread out over the week for spaced repetition.
STEP 2 – THE OTHER SKILLS:
Decide which skill you wish to revise on that topic next. Reading, listening, speaking, writing or translation? Then choose the corresponding activity below, download it and follow the instructions carefully. Once completed, download the answers or send to your teacher for checking. PLEASE NOTE THIS SECTION IS STILL IN THE PROCESS OF BEING COMPLETED. ACTIVITIES ARE BEING ADDED DAILY THOUGH.
1. Ma famille et les rapports familiaux – FAMILIES AND RELATIONSHIPS
2. La technologie et les réseaux sociaux – SOCIAL NETWORKS AND TECHNOLOGY IN EVERY DAY LIFE
Life at school
Did you like this post? If you liked this idea and want to try out my post with even more fun, check out my French GCSE and Intermediate French Revision Practice Activities.
Want to keep up-to-date with the latest content? Sign Up to the Ideal Teacher’s Exclusive Mailing List.